1) After Iconic Photo, Muslim and Jewish Family Come Together To Break Bread: A photo of two children went viral last month during the Muslim ban protests, striking an emotional chord with the nation. In the photo, seven-year-old Meryem Yildirim (wearing a hijab) and nine-year-old Adin Bendat-Appell’s (wearing a yarmulke) are each sitting high on their respected father’s shoulders, smiling at one another and holding rally signs. CUT TO: Two weeks later, and the two families have reunited but this time over Shabbat dinner.
2) Rabbi Arrested Protesting Muslim Ban, Pens Op-Ed: In this op-ed for the Washington Post, Rabbi Danya Ruttenberg talks about her experience being arrested a week ago alongside 18 of her fellow rabbis as they protested the Trump administration’s policies targeting refugees and immigrants including the ban on travel from seven mostly Muslim nations.
3) First Muslim Is Elected President Of The College Chaplains Association: Imam Adeel Zeb was recently elected president of the National Association of College and University Chaplains, making him the first Muslim to be granted the one-year position.
4) New PEW Report: American Attitudes Toward Muslims Have Improved: According to a new report, over the past few years Americans have warmed toward almost all major religious groups including Muslims (and atheists). The survey was conducted by asking nearly 4,000 US adults to rate different groups through a “feeling” thermometer. In June 2014, Americans on average gave Muslims 40 degrees but by January 2017, that jumped up to 48 degrees.
5) And lastly, Meet The Muslim Model Featured In Kanye West’s Fashion Show: On Wednesday, hijabi model Halima Aden had her first runway show – and by all accounts, it was specular. Featured in Kanye West’s Yeezy fashion show, Vogue says Ms. Aden “instantly became the show’s most talked-about new face.”