Muslims are the fastest-growing religious group in the world, Pew Research recently announced. With this in mind, here are some key facts on Muslim demographics, compiled from PEW:
– There were 1.6 billion Muslims in the world as of 2010 – roughly 23% of the global population.
– Though Islam is currently the world’s second-largest religion (after Christianity), it is the fastest-growing major religion.
– The number of Muslims is expected to exceed the number of Christians by the end of this century.
– Middle East-North Africa region is home to only 20% of the world’s Muslims.
– Indonesia is currently the country with the world’s largest Muslim population.
– By the year 2050, India is projected to be the country with the largest Muslim population (while remaining majority-Hindu), with more than 300 million Muslims.
– The Muslim population in Europe are also growing. In 2050, Pew projects that 10% of all Europeans will be Muslim.