1) New Era’s Anne Frank Is A 7-year-old Aleppo Girl: A seven-year-old Syrian girl named Bana al-Abed is being hailed as this era’s Anne Frank, having amassed more than 200,000 Twitter followers as she and her family have documented their struggle to survive in war-ravaged Aleppo. Her mother started the Twitter account in late September (in English) which shared little Bana’s fears of the nightly bombings and documented the destruction of their neighborhood while also including more familiar moments of Bana with her younger siblings. As a result, Bana “quickly became the newest symbol for the horrors unfolding in Syria,” according to the Washington Post.
2) Tech Employees Pledge To Never Build A Muslim Registry: Should President-elect Donald Trump push for a Muslim Registry, sixty employees at leading tech companies such as Google, Uber and Slack have an answer for him – No! The group — who describes themselves as “engineers, designers, business executives, and others whose jobs include managing or processing data about people” — have signed a pledge stating that they will “advocate within their organizations” to minimize data collection that would help any kind of “ethnic or religious targeting.”
3) New Study On Scottish Muslims, An “Aspirational” And Smart Lot: “Scottish Muslims in Numbers” is a recent study published last week by Edinburgh University which, according to BuzzFeed, shows that “Scottish Muslims are an aspirational population and socioeconomically better off than Muslims in England and Wales.”
4) A Message Of Tolerance Spreads Across America: The sign is in three languages — Spanish, English and Arabic — and has popped up in various cities across North America bearing a simple message: “No matter where you are from, we’re glad you’re our neighbor.” This nationwide phenomenon started from a single hand-painted sign on a church in Harrisonburg, Virginia named Immanuel Mennonite.
5) And finally, Jews Pledge “Not To Abandon” Muslims: In this new era of the Trump administration, many American Jews have pledged not to abandon American Muslims who have been threatened with a Muslim Registry and harassed with an uptick of xenophobic hate crimes.